Are Your Beauty Products Safe?
Five years ago I was introduced to a campaign known as Safe Cosmetics, after watching this video I was shocked to learn how our personal products have almost no regulations. Personal products include toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, baby powder, deodorant not just makeup. Lets be honest you aren't going to stop using these products. The solution is to educate yourself and pick safer products.
Quick way to get up to speed on the issue at hand is to watch the video I've included below and share it with your friends. But, if you don't have time, or currently working so you cant plug in your headphones. I've included some quick facts to keep in mind:
- According to Environment Working Group's research, 70% of products contain ingredients that are linked to cancer.
- A study of teen girls by the EWG revealed 16 hormone-altering cosmetics chemicals in the blood of young test subjects.
- FDA does not define or regulate the term “organic,” as it applies to cosmetics, body care, or personal care products. Meaning anything can be called "organic".
- Manufacturers are legally allowed to hide hundreds of chemicals in the ingredient “fragrance” or “parfum”.
- Red Cross and EWG found mothers transferred 287 known personal products chemicals to their newborns. 208 of these chemicals cause birth defects, are toxic to the brain, and damage the nervous system.
- There are only 10 banned ingredients in the U.S., but more than 1,400 in the EU.
- Average women exposes herself to 150 harmful chemicals a day.
Now that you are up to speed, what can you do? You can check if your existing or Fae'vorite products contain harmful ingredients by visiting these sites:
- EWG's product search engine.
- Think Dirty phone app, for when you are out shopping.
- Beautycounter, Never List.
If your products have harmful ingredients it doesn't mean you have to stop using that type of product. Lotion is something that is actually great for you, its just the company you can't trust. The good news is, companies like Beautycounter believe in only using safe ingredients. I currently use their products and love them! Just to be clear this is NOT A SPONSORED post. I'm only sharing this because I believe in safe products and care about each and everyone of my readers.
Beautycounter, specializes in safe personal products that are affordable and work. They even won awards from Allure Beautycounter. If you want to learn more, sample products, click here to visit Beautycounter.